When we state our wishes and dreams - out loud, in public - we open ourselves to ridicule and snark. So many people claim to know the future with great certainty - which is, of course, impossible.
Wishes and dreams are too important to scoff at. All positive change begins in our imaginations. If we can't imagine something, we can't create it. Our dreams may not become reality, but I'd rather work towards a dream than ridicule dreamers.
In 2011, I'd like to see...
1. The end of the Harper Government.
2. A provision enacted by Parliament allowing Iraq War resisters to stay in Canada - and for those now in the US to be allowed to move or return here if they wish.
3. The beginning of the re-building of a liberal Liberal Party and a truly progressive New Democrat Party.
4. A full withdrawal of all foreign troops from Afghanistan and Iraq. (Remember, I said "dream".)
5. Bradley Manning released from prison.
6. A widespread understanding of the difference between support for a free Palestine and anti-Semitism.
Personally, I'd like to get...
1. A better day-job, allowing me to:
1a. pay off debt, and
1b. have a little money to travel.
2. A part-time library job.
3. A new sister for Tala. (That one's easy!)
Here's hoping 2011 is good to almost everyone. I hope Stephen Harper, Jason Kenney, Peter MacKay, Lawrence Cannon, Vic Toews, Bev Oda, John Baird and the rest of them have a very bad year.
Happy New Year!
Post a Comment