Here are some really nice things about our new life in Port Hardy.
1. It is very quiet. In the house, we hear bird song, the occasional barking dog, a car going by. No sirens, car alarms, bus announcements, school bells, screaming children. We have never lived anywhere quiet. It's lovely.
2. People are friendly. Very friendly. Also lovely.
3. It has not rained since we got here. It is sometimes misty or foggy. I can tell the air is humid by how long it takes damp laundry to dry. But so far, no rain.
4. We are very near water. Mississauga and Toronto are technically on a huge body of water, but you never feel it unless you're right beside it.
5. Having laundry in our own living space again is very wonderful.
6. All of the appliances in this house are shiny and new, and not the bare-bones that we usually find in rentals. I always say, I am destined to have crappy kitchens. This seems to have changed.
7. We have had two very good meals in restaurants in town, including really good pizza at a pub. There are still two or three cafes we haven't tried.
8. We have outdoor space again. There's no describing how wonderful that is.
9. Diego seems completely adjusted and at home.
10. Allan is happy. This sometimes feels like a rare event, so seeing him happy fills me with joy.
11. Having M and SIL with us for the move-in has been so wonderful. SIL is a great organizer and has unpacked a ton of stuff. M is Mr. Fix-It -- actually more like Mr. Fix-It, Break Down and Rebuild It, Repurpose It. All that plus the four of us have been having a great time together.
Life is good.