The clock is ticking down for war resister Kim Rivera and her family. Let's take action every day this week on her behalf.
Today, please take a few minutes and write a letter to your newspaper of choice (or even better, your newspaper of last resort) in support of US war resisters in Canada. To increase your chance of publication:
- keep it short: under 200 words if possible,
- avoid inflammatory language: keep what you really think about Stephen Harper and Jason Kenney to yourself,
- pick one or two key points to highlight, and
- keep it very short.
- a majority of Canadians support US Iraq war resisters
- Canada did not support the invasion of Iraq, so welcoming other people who do not support it is consistent
- in June 2008 Parliament passed a motion calling on the government to stop deporting war resisters and to let them stay
- Prime Minister Harper and Immigration Minister Kenney must respect the will of Parliament
- Canada has a history of welcoming people of conscience, this is consistent with Canadian values
- Canada should welcome war resisters, rather than welcoming war criminal George Bush
- the war resisters most immediately threatened are Kimberly Rivera, Patrick Hart and Dean Walcott
Even if your letter is not published, it helps. The more letters a newspaper receives on a topic, the greater the obligation to run one or more of them. A barrage of letters will greatly increase visibility and show the public's support for the resisters all across Canada.
Feel free to post your letter in comments here if you like.
More about Let Them Stay Week 2 here.