Canadian citizen Omar Khadr is the only Western national still imprisoned in Guantánamo Bay. Although the entire prison should be emptied and razed, Khadr's continuing imprisonment is a stark and brutal stain on Canada. No country can credibly claim to support human rights while allowing one of its own citizens to remain in the US's concentration camp.
Next week, you have an opportunity to tell Stephen Harper, and all the party leaders vying for your vote: Bring Omar Khadr Back To Canada.
There are events in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and Vancouver.
The Coalition to Repatriate Omar Khadr ask that Prime Minister Stephen Harper and the Government of Canada:
- Protect the rights of all Canadian citizens detained abroad, including Omar Khadr.
- Respect Canadian and international law that guarantees the presumption of innocence, due process and protection against torture and other cruel treatment.
- Request the repatriation of Omar Khadr from Guantánamo Bay, and work with US authorities to return him to Canada without further delay.
- Guarantee that Omar Khadr be fairly tried in an open civilian court, should admissible evidence warrant prosecution.
- Provide the necessary resources for Omar Khadr's rehabilitation and reintegration into Canadian society.
For more information on how you can help, go here.