We're having a hell of a time figuring out one part of our move - namely, how to get us, our dogs and a few essentials safely from New York to Port Credit.
We're hiring professional movers, so 90% of our stuff will leave about 5 days before we do and arrive 10 days so after. No problem. We thought we'd rent a U-Haul for the four of us and the other 10% - clothes, computer, an air mattress and whatever other essentials we'll need before the moving van arrives.
Then we found out there are no U-Hauls with backseats. Can't put the dogs in a closed truck, can't fit them in the front with us.
Plan B. We'll rent a cargo van.
Nope, no one-way rentals to Toronto.
OK, plan C. We'll rent a cargo van to Buffalo, a few days later rent another car in Toronto, follow each other back to Buffalo to return the van.
Nope, no one-way van rentals to Buffalo.
This is getting very tricky.
We don't own a car, which probably sounds bizarre, but is very typical in NYC. It's very difficult to bring an American-owned car into Canada anyway, so we've been planning on renting until we can lease or buy a car in the Toronto area. But this latest wrinkle is proving very complicated.
Now we're looking at a one-way car rental to Buffalo for us, the dogs, and a bare minimum of stuff, then UPS the rest. Or else the same one-way car rental and hire a guy with a van to drive the other stuff instead of shipping.
Either way, it depends on the one-way car rental, which might not be possible. Allan is taking care of these phone calls while I write about the maurauding hordes of ancient Europe (Goths, Huns, Vandals, Scyths).